JANUARY 2011- One year ago today (Jan 3rd 2012) I lost my sweet dad to lung cancer. He was diagnosed and fought the fight but in the end he passed away just about a month after we found out. It was so hard to see him sick and we definitely were not prepared to lose him so quickly. I am glad though he did not have to suffer very long and I know he still lives in our memories and hearts.
Later this month I found out (Jan 29th) that I was expecting baby #2! Happy news to add to a very emotional month.
FEBRUARY 2011- We found out on February 18th that my Aunt Jane has a rare form of uterine cancer, definitely a blow since we just dealt with dad's. She went back to GA to go to her regular doctor and be with Uncle Richard.
At the end of this month Chris and I decided that with the new baby coming and just having a renewed perspective on life and family, it was in our best interest to move. We gave our notices at our jobs and hired a moving company to come and pack us up! (We moved fast!)
On February 14th we put in an offer on some land off Henry McCall Road that a man from Florida owned for hunting purposes and kept our fingers crossed!
We love our mountain view!
MARCH 2011- We moved into Bubba's house (Aunt Jane owns it now) where my dad lived (definitely weird living here but I try not to dwell on it too much; makes me sad) in Spruce Pine, NC and stored most of our stuff. We set up Carter's crib and furniture but other than that we brought mostly just clothes and necessities.
We closed on the land and started talking to Webb Builder's about building a house on the property, and with their help we came up with a house plan.
We closed on the land and started talking to Webb Builder's about building a house on the property, and with their help we came up with a house plan.
March 28th Aunt Jane started her first round of chemo.
This month Chris and I also went to St. Lucia for our 5 year anniversary, it was beautiful!
APRIL 2011- We broke ground on our house construction!
It was so exciting to see them dig up the ground but when they poured the concrete we just thought it looked so small! We didn't see how that was ever going to be the house we had envisioned!
Easter 2011 was fun, Carter enjoyed his Easter baskets and dying eggs with Nana. Here are a few pics:
MAY 2011- On Friday May 6th we found out we are having a BOY! We were so excited that Carter would have a baby Brother in September/October.
On Uncle Richards birthday, May 11th, his mother passed away after suffering for a while.
May also brought Carter's 2nd birthday! We had a John Deere party and the guest stars were baby chicks! Carter loved his party and still talks about who gave him what and what happened.
The golden color one is Honey as a baby and one of the brown ones is Maple. They were so cute!
Katy Cook took some fabulous shots of my little two year old!
JUNE 2011- Chris and I attended his friend Jay's wedding in Memphis, TN. This was much less eventful than the last time we visited Memphis when I was pregnant and we got stuck in a snowstorm on the interstate for umpteen hours.
Carter had lots of fun this summer swimming in the pool! He played in the lake at Belews as well but was a little bit more apprehensive.
JULY 2011- We had a great 4th at Belews Creek and Carter thoroughly enjoyed the fireworks.
This month Uncle Richards father passed away after a hip replacement. This has been a tough year for losing people. Summer and I traveled to GA to be with Aunt Jane and Unc Rich for the ceremony they had.
On July 13th Aunt Jane had her last chemo treatment! We are hopeful that this will start her recovery. So far she is doing great!
AUGUST 2011- This month was HOT and it was tough being so pregnant! We continued our house construction and Chris' cousin Caroline gave birth to little Boykin.
SEPTEMBER 2011- On Sept 28th 2011 I went in for my scheduled C-Section and Camden Thomas Boykin was born on 9/28 at 9:28 am and was 9 lbs and 2 ounces. After he was born and I was in the recovery room with him they told us that he had a rapid breathing rate and needed to be checked out further in the NICU. We didn't know what to expect and were hopeful he would rejoin us soon. We later learned he had aspirated some fluid in his lungs and would need to stay for a while under monitoring in the NICU. Days passed and his white count was elevated so they put him on antibiotics. I was discharged and fortunately was able to stay in the hospital in a room they reserve for parents with childen in the NICU. It was the size of a closet though and was dorm room style so I shared a bathroom with 2 others. After 2 nights of sleeping there I was able to get a "Transition Room" with Camden in the room with me. I lucked up and got the twin room so it was extra big and the best part was Cam being there with me all the time. The couch bed wasn't very comfortable but I toughed it out and just kept thinking about when we would go home. Finally Cam finished his antibiotics and his breathing stabilized so we were able to go home on October 6th. He stayed 8 days in the NICU..longest 8 days EVER!!! Here are some pictures of the tiniest:

On November 29th Cam went for his 2 month checkup and got his shots. He did good, just cried a little but settled down. He weighed 12 lbs 15.5 oz (75%), was 24 inches long (90%) and 15.5 inches in head diameter (50%).
Thanksgiving was fun with Cam and Carter. This year we hosted Chris' family in Spruce Pine and I cooked! I got the turkey and gravy from Countryside and Mimi brought a ham but I made the sides. We had: Cornbread dressing (Ok, Mom made the cornbread but I did the rest!), Crockpot Mac n' Cheese, Broccoli Cassarole, Sweet Potato Cassarole, deviled eggs, and I made 2 chocolate pies. Also made some sausage balls and Wasil. Seamus and Catherine came as well and they brought some homemade pies, Pumpkin and Pecan which were also very delish :)
After Thanksgiving our Elf on the Shelf, "Dobby" made his grand appearance one night! Carter really enjoys looking for him every morning to see where he might turn up next!
DECEMBER 2011- Camden is getting so big! He has outgrown most of the 3 month clothes and is wearing 6 month or 6-9 month outfits. He is a good baby and will sleep at least 5 hours through the night. Carter loves his brother and is so sweet. He will say, "we love you Cam, we just love you" and also he will try to comfort him when he is fussing and constantly give him kisses and tell him that he loves him.
We got our Christmas tree! I wasn't sure whether to get one for Spruce Pine because we are limited on space but we went up to our usual tree-getting place in Linville and Chris brought his chainsaw :) We found the "perfect tree" and chopped her down and brought her home. The next day I put lights up and ornaments and Carter was giddy with excitement at the prospect of Christmas and Santa.















No comments:
Post a Comment