Friday, June 8, 2012

Chickies

I want a farm! Well I would like to maybe one day have some horses. To start us off though we decided to try to raise chickens :). After I got back from GA I realized the local chicken place and Tractor Supply were all sold out. Not letting that deter me I found a website called Chickens for Backyards and ordered 6 baby chicks. 2 Golden Comets, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks.

I ordered a brooder kit from the website and it came several weeks before the chicks. I got it all set up a few days before they were scheduled to ship and Chris helped me secure the infrared light with PVC pipe.

Finally my chicks shipped on May 29th but I didn't get the call from the PO (at 7:14 am no less) that my peeps were ready for pickup.

Carter, Cam and I went to get them a little after 8 and then waited for the window to open so I could mail a package to Monica. Carter held the chick box while we waited and although we couldn't see them we heard lots of peeping.

After we got home I put them in their 6 week home where they'll grow until they're old enough to live outside.

The first night went well- dogs didn't mess with them and the next day I took the boys to Asheville and came back after leaving chicks and dogs together again to find all was well. The chicks were surrounded by a cardboard circle. Later that afternoon I put the boys down for a nap and heard a scuffling in the garage. Hurrying out there I find Dixie has nosed the chick pen and poor Rosie (a Rhode Island Red) escaped. Dixie probably tried to round her up and in doing so killed her.

Now we are left with Snow White (Carter and I's favorite), McNugget (whom I suspect is a rooster), Henny Penny, Daisy and Maisy.

I secured them in a large dog crate with the cardboard still around them and so far it's been "Dixie proof".

I hope Dix gets used to them quick!


No comments:

Post a Comment